- Published on Wednesday, 22 May 2013 00:00
1:48 Bezels and Cockpit Details
Catalogue # PE48 BEZ and PE48 DET respectively
Available from Airscale for £7.95 each
A while ago, we reviewed Airscale's excellent 1:32 cockpit based, photo etch detail sets. These releases concerned instrument bezels and general cockpit instrumentation. I'm very pleased to say that Airscale have now released this in 1:48 scale for the quarter-scale detail junkies out there. The sets we have are:
- Published on Tuesday, 21 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Seatbelts for Sopwith Snipe, RE.8 and DH.9a
Catalogue # and price: see article
Available from HGW
HGW are busy filling in the back catalogue of Wingnut Wings releases with laser cut editions of their excellent seatbelt sets. These microfibre and photo-etch belts really are in a league of their own. The sets we've been sent are:
- Published on Monday, 20 May 2013 00:00
1/32 P-47C/D Main wheels
Catalogue # See article.
Available from Barracuda Studios for $8.95 each
Roy Sutherland at Barracuda Studios has sent SP&R his latest wheel sets, this time for fans of accurate 1:32 P-47 'Jugs'. Wheels are a science in themselves, with numerous tread patterns being used in various theatres, periods etc. Barracuda have released THREE new sets to cater to all your Thunderbolt needs, and these are:
- Published on Friday, 17 May 2013 00:00
Mud (Various types)
See article for details and price
Available from Creative Models for £5.99 each
Ever wanted to create a muddy landscape for your diorama but didn't know how to achieve it? Well, MIG Productions latest addition to their range is MIG Productions MUD. With this new product range, all modellers will be able create realistic mud, soils and landscapes in your dioramas and models with ease and less fuss to other methods that have been used in the past.
The products we've been sent to take a look at are:
- Published on Thursday, 16 May 2013 00:00
Cold War Aircraft Modeller (Issue 2 – Spring 2013)
Published Quarterly by Workbench Miniatures
Price: £8.00 plus £2.00 UK P&P by PayPal (P&P for other countries vary)
Available from: https://www.facebook.com/WorkbenchMiniatures
Digital Copies: www.pocketmags.com (including out of print issues)
I love magazines. I buy magazines on model making, motor racing and gadgets so when I read someone's Facebook post about a new modelling magazine featuring aircraft of the cold war I just had to find out more.
- Published on Wednesday, 15 May 2013 00:00
Catalogue # RB-T038
Available from RB Productions for €6.50
If you haven't yet seen the light and tried out some of RB Productions rather excellent photo etch saws, then here comes another release of those sets you will end up filing under "how did I cope without that?"
- Published on Tuesday, 14 May 2013 00:00
Soviet T-26 Light Infantry Tank Mod.1931
Catalogue # 82494
Available from Creative Models for £23.99
This is my first look at HobbyBoss armour. The 'sister' company of Trumpeter (I have never quite nailed down the relationship between the two) have produced a fair amount of armour, but for the most part they have been peripheral WWII subjects or modern ones. Perhaps their most mainstream WWII subject was the SdKfz 222 armoured car - a kit which has some significant shape issues. I will be upfront and say I do not have any reference for the T-26, beyond what the reader presumably has themselves ie the internet. As such, this will be a 'what's in the box' review.
- Published on Monday, 13 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Bristol M1.C
Catalogue # ACRK32-10
Available from A2Zee Models for £59.00
The Bristol M1.C Scout was developed as a private venture due to the establishment's deep-seated mistrust of monoplane aircraft. The Fokker Scourge of 1915 must've been easily forgotten in that respect. The performance of the 110hp Clerget powered M1 Scout was also proven during its maiden flight in 1916, and in subsequent test flying. Despite the very promising performance exhibited during flight trials, a number of problems were encountered.
- Published on Friday, 10 May 2013 00:00
1:32 Fokker D.VII Radiators
Available from RB Productions for €6.00
Only an item or so of aftermarket has surfaced for the excellent range of Wingnut Wings Fokker D.VII kits (F, OAW, Alb & Fok) so far. HGW have released a set of D.VII specific seatbelts, and will no doubt have a number of other sets on the market before too long. RB Productions have now released a simple upgrade set which is designed to improve the incorrect mesh pattern of the kit radiator parts with a more accurate and sharp honeycomb design.
- Published on Thursday, 09 May 2013 00:00
1/48 MiG-21MF "The Bunny Fighter" - Founder Edition
Catalogue # BFC001
Member Edition available from Eduard for USD$74.95
Outside of the kits themselves (and the "followers' camp" of aftermarket accessories), the modeling industry isn't exactly an innovative one. The internet continues to be a thing largely ignored by the major manufacturers, as a tour of their websites will quickly attest. Engagement, via social platforms like Facebook, or via popular forums, is virtually non-existent. For the most part, marketing remains dominated by magazine advertising and by early leaks and review samples to a privileged few.
- Published on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 00:00
1/35 Light Tank VK 1602 "Leopard"
Catalogue # 35A004
Available from Lucky Model for $32.99
My second review is my second review of an Amusing Hobby kit, another "paper panzer", this time the "Leopard". The Light Tank VK 1602 "Leopard" was a planned German recon vehicle designed from March through October 1942, with the serial production scheduled for April 1943, but the project was abandoned before the first prototype was built. It was originally planned to arm the vehicle with the 75 mm Kwk 41, although that was changed to a smaller 50 mm cannon which was used on later Pz Mk. III's. The VK 1602 had largely sloped frontal armor, influenced by the Panther.
- Published on Saturday, 04 May 2013 20:31
1:32 Gnome Monosoupape 100hp
Coming soon from Taurus Models
Taurus Models have sent us some images of their forthcoming 1:32 Gnome Monosoupape 100hp resin upgrade engine. This is one you can fit to your Wingnut Wings DH.2 model and really set it flying in style. We recently reviewed the Oberursel UI and was blown away by it. We'll shortly be receiving our review sample of this from Story Models, and will bring it to you shortly afterwards. In the meanwhile, take a look at the images that Taurus have sent our way, and be very, very excited!
- Messerschmitt Bf109 F - The Ace Maker by Kagero
- 1:35 U.S. M1070 Tractor / M1000 Heavy Equipment Transporter Upgrade Sets from ET Model
- 1:32 Fokker D.VII Parts 1 & 2 from Lifelike Decals
- US Navy / Marines Fighter Pilot - Tropical from Master Details
- JG 52 - Aces of the Eastern Front from Kagero
- 1/32 AN6510 US WWII Era Aircrew Parachutes from True Details
- 1/32 Photo-Etch Upgrades for Revell He219 from Eduard
- April releases from Kagero
- The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Early Series - News from Valiant Wings
- 1/32 Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress from HK Models
- 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IXc Late ProfiPACK, from Eduard
- 1:350 U-Boat Type VIIC from Jasmine Model
- 1:48 Top Falcons 'Limited Edition' from Eduard
- P-38 Lightning Mini Topcolours at War Kagero
- 1:32 He 219 wheels, from Eduard
- 1:35 Sherman Tank Periscope Guards and Lamp, Horn and Tail Light Guards from MMC Design
- JG54 Green Heart Fighters from Kagero
- Interactive Gloster Gladiator from MMP Books
- Pz.Kpfw. IV Family Mini Topcolours from Kagero
- Scale Model Addict Magazine Issue One